May 12, 2009

A New Orange Flower

I've had so much success with gaillardia that I decided to add 'Tokajer' to the butterfly garden. This blanket flower is supposed to be suitable for zones 3-9. I planted about a dozen of these with various companion plants - echinacea 'Sundown' and an orange crocosmia; with the purple salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna' and verbena 'Homestead Purple'. I like to mix shades of orange together as well as combine orange with purple blooms.

Once the butterfly garden is in full bloom and these gaillardia have filled out, I'll provide more companion photo combinations. I'll also report on whether or not this gaillardia, like the others that I grow, is resistant to deer and rabbits. This is a drought tolerant perennial that prefers lean soils and full sun. I've read mixed reports about the height - anywhere from 16 inches to 30 inches in height. They can be planted close together in masses.



by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011