October 7, 2008

Grape Gaillardia

During the Garden Conservancy Open Garden Days, I was taken by a rare and unusual gaillardia at the home garden of JC Ralston Arboretum Director, Dr. Dennis Werner. Although not the same as Werner's gaillardia, I found a gaillardia aestivalis var. winkleri to plant in my garden.

This 'Grape Sensation' blanket flower easily transplanted from the nursery pot to my cottage garden in September. I planted it beside the stream in a sunny spot that drains well. The gaillardia has since been growing vigorously, so I'm optimistic that it is established.

This perennial gaillardia likes full sun in zones 7-9. It should grow 18" tall by 36" wide, so I gave it plenty of space to fill out. The color works well with my blue-pink-magenta-purple color scheme that I use in the cottage garden. I look forward to next year's growing season to see if this gaillardia does indeed bloom from May through October...as I've come to expect from gaillardia varieties.
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011