February 16, 2009

Dreams Seeded with Reality

I have discovered a weakness for cute packets of flower seeds. There's just something irresistible about those tiny, flat packages. My mind conjures up images of an overflowing cottage garden with flowers in a rainbow of colors.

Perhaps I've been looking at too many photos of Monet's Giverny? I do have deer and rabbits, after all. I'm living well with the deer -- we are getting along with the outer gardens. However, those mischievous bunnies aren't going to keep me from having lots of flowers within the fence of the cottage garden. I shall use a natural bunny repellant!

The larkspur and poppies that I sowed in the fall are doing great. The seedlings are plentiful, so I have high hopes for those annuals.

Since my original fall purchases from Diane's Seeds and Swallowtail Garden Seeds, I've also received free seeds from a generous and kind garden blogging friend.

As if I didn't have enough seeds, I recently gave into the temptation of a $10 off sticker on the front of the catalog from Thompson and Morgan Seeds! Please don't tell me about additional sources of flower seeds! I have many more bookmarked already.

My imagination has led to me to purchase all of these seeds. My logical mind has led me to the realization that I may have gone a little overboard with seed shopping!

Okay -- a lot overboard! I don't have a greenhouse. I have a small area for starting seeds indoors. I can try winter sowing... and direct sowing after frost. What was I thinking? I wasn't thinking, I was dreaming!

Story and photo by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011