February 7, 2009

Winter Thyme for Crocus


Much to my surprise (and delight) a yellow crocus is in bloom today!

The crocus is planted in a ground cover of creeping thyme inside the cottage garden. We were sitting on the front porch, sipping coffee and basking in the winter sunshine when I noticed the tiny yellow flower.

Thyme is a forgiving ground cover for bulbs. It doesn't choke them out, so bulbs can easily emerge from underneath the thyme.

I tend to forget about these tiny flowers until they appear in February. Like the daffodils, the early crocus cheer me up as a reminder that spring isn't too far away.

This little crocus girl isn't alone. A few more of her family members will emerge within a few days. That said, I realize that I don't have nearly enough for a great display!

Growing in zones 4-7, this early variety needs to be planted in fall so that the bulbs chill out before bloom season. With all of my bulb planting this past October, I forgot all about planting more of the tiny crocus bulbs. In my quest to take note of winter color, crocus bulbs will be on my fall shopping list!

Story and photo by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011