March 1, 2009

Nature Watch



I've watched this woodpecker do chin-ups for years. It must take a lot of strength to reach the seed in the tube feeder! I finally had to set up a tripod in the house to steady the camera enough to capture this shot of a moving bird and feeder.

The feeding frenzy over the last week has increased significantly with each day. I've enjoyed this entertainment. Is it the hint of more winter weather to come?

Just two days ago, it felt like spring. The bullfrog had even come out and was splashing in the stream. I guess he's gone back under the water to hang out for a few more days. There is a prediction of snow tonight, then strong winds and 17°F lows until mid-week. The forecast for next weekend is back into the sunny 70s!

The goldfinch feathers are starting to turn gold again -- a good sign that spring is coming. I've seen activity around the bird houses for the upcoming nesting season.

All the members of the deer herd are still wearing their dark, winter coats. We're not sure if there was a race, or just a wild frolic in our meadow the other day. The large herd ran full speed out into the meadow, made a circle, and ran back into the woods. It was quite a show with all those white tails carried high!

Sometimes, I get the feeling that nature is watching me.

The deer can see me through the French door when I'm in the kitchen. They stare at me, and I just wave back to them. The birds hang out in the trees and shrubs while I'm in the garden. The bullfrog eyes are barely above the surface of the water, but he's watching. The little green anoles come up on the porch and strut back and forth on the warm stone floor. They seem to follow me around.

Do you think nature finds us entertaining, too?

Story and photo by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011