April 15, 2009

Garden Critters Day

Yes, I know. You are expecting to see blooms from the garden. Shall I dare to be different?

During my camera stalking of hummingbirds, I photographed three garden critters on my patio without moving my tripod. I was stationed inside the house in the garden room.

The baby bunny slipped underneath the garden gate from the cottage garden onto the patio. After this photo shoot, I checked out all the bunny-pleasing plants in the cottage garden and they were unharmed. The bunny repellant is protecting the plants, but the bunny still visits. She looks so sweet, doesn't she? I think I'll name her Cinnamon Bunny.



The frog was watching the waterfall from his soft spot on the edge of the patio. He looks big here because I zoomed in on him. However, he's really only about three inches high. I don't live in Michigan, so I'll name him Carolina J. Frog. He sings quite loudly, but I've not seen him wearing a top hat or dancing!



Between the bunny and the frog, the male hummingbird was perched a few feet above the patio on a branch of Lady Banks Rose. This is already his favorite perch. He's claiming the hanging basket, the planter and window feeder as his territory. I think he's reigning over the waterfall garden, so how about Lord Banks as a name?



Is it the sound of the waterfall that attracts the little critters? Is it the morning sun? Is it the flowers? Why did three tiny little critters gather together on the same morning? Whatever draws them to the waterfall garden, they are a joy to watch!

Story and photos by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011