June 6, 2009

2009 Return of the Monarch Butterflies





The first Monarch butterfly showed up today. I planted more asclepias incarnata (milkweed) for them yesterday as I had lost quite a few plants during our cold, wet winter. I added the extras just in time! The milkweed serves as a host plant for the Monarch caterpillars. Favorite nectar plants include verbena, buddleia and agastache.

Our garden is a certified Monarch Waystation. For more information about requirements for certification, please visit the website of Monarch Watch.

Story and photos by Freda Cameron; Location: home garden; June 6, 2009
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011