September 3, 2009

Is September the Busiest Month of the Year?


I don't know what it is about September, but with each day, I feel there aren't enough hours to do everything and see everyone!

The cooler temperatures put us in the mood to get together with our friends, take day trips and go to local events. Exercise is much more pleasant in the mornings as I try to walk three miles a day before I begin gardening. It is, after all, the perfect month to work in the garden!

Yesterday, I rearranged two groupings of spirea in the deer resistant garden to make room for sowing seeds and planting bulbs. I moved Japanese irises and shasta daisies. A big clump of ornamental oregano was moved to edge the front walkway. I deadheaded zinnias to coax them to produce more blooms before frost. With each plant I moved, I probably moved another three to be able to work in the redesign. It's just the beginning!

September is the month that I try to make corrections in the design while I know where everything is located. Sometimes when spring rolls around, I will have forgotten what looked bad, or good, the previous growing season.

I'm going to make-over the flower bed along the right bank of the cottage garden stream. I got tired of watering the plants there and intend to use drought-tolerant sedum (from all those sedum tips I planted in early summer) as well as lavender that I stockpiled when I found it at nurseries this summer. Those have been in holding in different locations.

Recently, I submitted a plan to our Home Owners Association to expand a section of the garden along the dry stream to further control the rain runoff. It will have to be based on deer resistant and rabbit resistant perennials. Speaking of deer, they are getting way too friendly! As for the new garden plan - it was approved, but will I have time this fall to create the new garden? Stay tuned...


Words and photos by Freda Cameron
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011