December 11, 2009

Betsy's Cranberry Scones


It's the holiday season, the weather is really cold and I am thinking about baking scones. Not just any scones, but those baked by my friend on one of my visits with her in California.

Once upon a time, Betsy lived here in North Carolina. I can't remember the exact year, but I think maybe 30 years have passed since we packed up her Saab and drove to California. We had a great time on the cross-country road trip and even more fun while I spent a week with her in the Bay Area. I still consider Betsy to be my best friend, even though we may go years without seeing each other in person. Thank goodness for email!


Betsy's Cranberry Scones

Makes 16 scones
Preheat oven to 400°F


3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine or unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

3/4 cup dried (or fresh) cranberries
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

1 cup buttermilk

  1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

  2. Add margarine/butter and beat with an electric mixer (or use pastry blender) until well blended.

  3. Stir in zest and cranberries.

  4. Pour in buttermilk and mix until blended.

  5. Gather dough into a ball and divide in half.

  6. On lightly floured surface, roll each half into a circle (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick).

  7. Cut each circle into 8 wedges.

  8. Place scones on lightly greased cookie sheet.

  9. Bake in preheated 400° F oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

  10. Serve warm or cooled.

I have also adapted this recipe to make lavender scones (in photo).

Photos and words by Freda Cameron. Recipe from Betsy Livak.
Freelance travel writer. My current fiction writing projects include a completed manuscript and several works in progress.

By the way, my name is pronounced fred-ah, not freed-ah. Thank you.

Subscribe Now:

Followers

Click Pic for Travel Stories

Click Pic for Travel Stories
Paris, France; September 2013

The Musician. My late husband

The Musician. My late husband
Paris 2011